Sunday 26 February 2012

It's eBook time!

As an assignment for tech, we were asked to create an eBook on any topic our choosing. The first thing that shouted out to me was surprisingly the guitar, and I jumped on that inspiration as soon as I could. The marvelous things about eBooks is that they are open to such a wide variety of topics and can be used in seemingly limitless ways. 

There are a number of online platforms that can be used to create an eBook, but for this task I chose SlideRocket for its ease of use, and especially because I had already used it when creating my TPACK journey. Having previous knowledge about how to embed images, sounds, and videos into a project, all I had to do is ensure that everything was given credit where credit was due!

From creating this artifact, I learned that eBooks can be a fantastic modelling tool for a teacher to use in the classroom, and it is not difficult to create - all you really need is a topic and a focus. As well, it can be integrated into a multitude of disciplines: a eBook on the first day of school to introduce yourself to the class, for instance; it can be used in Language Arts as a digital portfolio of written works or a favourite story; it can be used as a 'show and tell' method if younger grades have technology incorporated into it; or as a way for older students to share stories with younger grades for reading buddies.

In the case of my eBook, it targets the Language Arts and Music curriculum the most. I decided to focus on the guitar and what it means to me, as well as briefly explaining the instrument instrument, which fits into the Music component. However, I also chose to write out my eBook in a poetry format, which goes along with Language Arts. I chose a particular voice and point of view, as well as sentence structure. 

Without further ado, here is my eBook!


I could definitely see myself using eBooks both as a modelling tool and as an option for students to share their work as a presentation. In terms of this particular eBook, I could use it in music class to demonstrate how a particular instrument makes me feel as well as share songs that I enjoy, and then invite them to choose their favourite instrument and tell the class about it. Or, I could use it language arts class to share a poetry about any topic (in this case, guitar), and invite them to create a poem or story in eBook format.

Since I love reading books, I found it a joy to create an electronic version of one and would love to use this in my future classroom!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;